RPA is hiring!
The RPA is seeking a short-term (4 month) consultant. Please see details below.
Title: Organizational Development Consultant
Compensation: $9,000.00 (Disbursement to be determined)
Schedule: Flexible schedule from September through December 2017 (extensions may be negotiated based on progress and deliverables review)
Organization Summary: The Richmond Progressive Alliance (RPA) is an unincorporated nonprofit organization dedicated to putting political decision-making power in the hands of the people by electing corporate-free representatives. The RPA is a non-partisan coalition of activist individuals and organizations that mobilizes people in support of progressive policies and candidates to create positive change in our community. After nearly 15 years in operations, the RPA is recognized as a national leader in local progressive politics. Its alumni are running for state offices and the organization presents its model throughout the state and country. RPA is poised for its next stage of growth and development: establishing strong internal systems to build upon gains made in Richmond, while further supporting the development of allied groups within a strong progressive movement.
Position Summary: The Organizational Development Consultant will work closely with the Steering Committee and other designated RPA leaders to establish, hone, and implement organizational systems. The primary areas of focus will be: administrative, financial, fundraising, human resources, strategic planning, and interactions with external parties.
The consultant will recommend all changes including procedures, bylaws, budget, etc. to the SC co chairs or designated members or RPASC, for final decisions.
The successful applicant will have strong experience in organizational development, working with volunteers, and community activism. Based on the short-term nature of this role and the desire to achieve maximum impact, the RPA seeks someone familiar and active within the organization. The Organizational Development Consultant will be hands-on and active, managing projects from inception to implementation, leveraging tapped and untapped resources with the goal of setting RPA up to build its capacity further through hiring a part-time employee during early 2018. Experience working with NationBuilder or similar database software is a plus.
Areas of Responsibilities
These are a list of target areas that the Organizational Development Consultant will work on alongside organization volunteers. The Organizational Development Consultant will establish with RPA leaders during the first weeks of the consultancy, a work plan to meet as many of these objectives in the time allotted. Weekly check-ins with consistent designated group of RPA volunteer(s) committee as well as monthly reporting to SC.
Administrative and Legal Compliance
- Review and update organizational bylaws
- Establish and post calendar of filing deadlines
- Work with Steering Committee on governance, including legal requirements
- Develop record keeping and file sharing systems both online and hard copies
- Ensure financial management duties are fulfilled, including sharing responsibilities to support of the Finance Committee (including Treasurer)
- Creation and maintenance of organizational budget
- Establish financial policies and procedures
- Maintain fiscal records and tax preparation documents
- Review existing funding streams and recommend new opportunities
- Create Fundraising Committee including plans for year 1 fundraising
- Participate in revenue generating activities
- Create plan for sustainability of paid staff/consultant position(s)
- Support systems creation and implementation for donations and donor relations
- Establish a strong system and assist with volunteer recruitment, on-boarding and role selection with a priority on filling leadership positions
- Establish and support implementation of conflict resolution and accountability systems
- Establish a job description for a part-time staffer with targeted start date of early 2018
- Create sub-committee to create a strategic concept paper
- Respond to media requests and perform media outreach
- Respond to other requests for information and collaboration
- Extensive experience with all aspects of organization development listed above
- Extensive experience with community services and activism, including work in community collaborations and coalitions.
- Experience volunteering with the RPA or similar organization and a familiarity with RPA organizational needs
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work and life experience
- A commitment to working with diverse communities
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Familiarity with facilitation and mediation skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other technology file sharing systems
To Apply: RPA provides equal opportunity contracting and Richmond residents, people of color, women, LGBTQ etc. are encouraged to apply. Interested applicants should submit their resume, a targeted cover letter, three professional references and proposed scope of work with deliverables considering the organizational needs to the RPA steering committee at rpaconsultant2017[at]gmail.com.
Application period closes 9/8/2017