Willis, Recinos, and Martinez Open Up Point Molate Process
Richmond Progressive Alliance (RPA) is pleased to announce that a motion regarding Point Molate, sponsored by RPA-endorsed Council Members Eduardo Martinez and Ada Recinos and Vice Mayor Melvin Willis, was unanimously passed Tuesday June 19, 2018. In the motion Staff was directed to make modifications to the timeline and scope of the Point Molate Land Use Visioning process to allow for more comprehensive outreach and meaningful community participation. This significant motion put forth by RPA council members has the goal of engaging more residents to participate in the decision-making process around Point Molate, something RPA has continuously fought for. Though originally critical of the motion, Mayor Butt voted with the progressive council members to improve on the work plan originally brought forth by consultants
Tuesday’s motion by Martinez, Recinos and Willis will:
1. Make sure that public input on is gathered from a minimum of 2,500 community members from across Richmond (via the website, workshops, pop-up events, youth forum and interviews).
2. Publicize community meetings, tours, forums and other activities widely and at least 30 days before the date of the event.
3. Provide at least 4 public tours of Pt. Molate with transportation, translation, and childcare as needed.
4. Include community-driven, special-topic forums as part of the community planning process. Some examples of potential forums would cover topics relating to:
- Community Economics and Housing Forum
- Public Uses of Pt. Molate Forum
- Achieving Equity and Sustainability
- Natural Resource Forum
- Site Infrastructure Forum
5. Redirect market analysis and feasibility studies to include development benefits for Richmond residents.
6. Add a transparency component that gives progress reports on Council agenda and lists all organizations and businesses that are contacted and interviewed.
7. Add a real-time evaluation component for participants to give feedback after every workshop and event.
8. Solicit development proposals after City has completed zoning and made updates to the General Plan.
For more information about the role of the Richmond Progressive Alliance in protecting Point Molate, go to www.richmondprogressivealliance.net/environment.